Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Haircuts and Hockey Pucks

While it would be foolish to argue that spring is in the air, at least in the literal sense, the cold weather has done nothing to dampen the spirits of the little one known as Lily Bryn. Chaff her pillowy cheeks a bit? Sure, why not? But no amount of freezing temperatures can quiet the sometimes maniacal laughter that this happy baby emits.

In the month since we last updated the internet (thus setting it abuzz with unbridled glee), we have kept busy with a myriad of activities. Friend of the blog Cody and his boy Milo came for a visit in February, and in the process I took off my Blackhawks chastity belt and attended my first game (and theirs). Apparently word got out to the players that I was in attendance, and they became so distraught that they lost their focus and ended up losing 3-2. I'm no longer permitted within 100 yards of the team, or anyone in a hockey jersey for that matter.

We also ate at Peaquod's (obligitory roof raise) and Chen's Chinese, which was immediately dubbed a fan favorite, not only by yours truly, but Milo and Lily as well. Lily loves a good crab rangoon, but who doesn't? Surely her mother, who counts seeing the "Crab Rangoon Fairy" out at a bar as one of her life's defining moments.

Friends Adam and Julie also visited, and in keeping with the sports theme, we ended up courtside to watch the Bulls dismantle the Utah Jazz at the United Center. Let me just say, those $8.50 beers go down a lot easier when you're sitting so close that you can hear shoe squeaks. It also eliminates having to drink until your seats seem like they're good. The only downside being that sitting that close, you realize that Omer Asik could use some better moisturizer. Although I'm told that most people, especially men, wouldn't notice that.

Speaking of grooming, Lily also got her first haircut a few weeks back. The old mop top was starting to get a bit crazy, and quite frankly, she was beginning to resemble MacGruber. She sat frozen in her race car chair, unable to emote anything besides pure, unbridled fear. She sat silent...worrying, wondering, hoping for a better tomorrow. And dammit if she didn't come out looking like a million bucks.

Switching to more devastating news, segues be damned, our car, dear Chandler, was vandalized last weekend. Some hooligan decided it would be a good idea to take out our passenger side rear window with a bat and put a dent in the body in the process. Listen, I'm as excited about baseball season as the next guy, but surely there are better ways to celebrate! This coming a mere days after I had finally decided to give up sleeping in the car with a shotgun.

Of course, with Saturn being a casualty of the GM downsizing a few years back, the glass for the window was apparently more rare than the sight of Anderson Cooper in the embrace of a woman, so the cost was exorbitant and unwieldy. Never the less, Chandler has now recovered from his reconstructive surgery and looks as good as new. And I've resumed sleeping in the car with a shotgun. (It's a fluorescent green toy gun, but I think it still sends a message.)

More posts coming soon, I promise. I'm typing them as we speak (well, after I'm done with this one at least). Tenderloins, Milwaukee, Alinea...if that doesn't spell Sweeps Week, I don't know what does.

Oh yes. On a random side note. Loyal readers will remember that at one point we had dropped the blogspot and picked up the Lord. Well if you remember that (unlikely), you'll also recall that after I let the domain name lapse, some savvy entrepeneur swooped in and grabbed it before I could renew the site name, forcing me to go back to blogspot (who have cooler layouts anyway). Well, ladies and gentlemen, I give you www.handfelthappyhour.com! Because when I think of anything Handfelt related, I immediately think of computer games. (Actually if we're talking about my mom, I do.)

Lily and Dad

Cody and Milo

Cody's beard and Katy's beard

Lily will forever be terrified of Edward Scissorhands.

No comments: