After 37 years of running like a Deere, Bernie hung up the steel-toed boots on September 17th, retiring from his Supervisor position at John Deere, where he was the brains behind the whole operation.
A week later, on Saturday, September 26th, stepmom Chris executed an elaborate and multi-pronged ruse known as "Operation Blackbeard" (no relation to my "Dad Beard Project" - Cory came up with the title). This involved getting Bernie out of the house for a golf outing so that she could set up for his surprise retirement party. The only problem was that I had to work late into the night here in Chicago on Friday for a Michael Moore press day. Michael Moore, champion of the common man, was inadvertently keeping me from celebrating the body of work of this blue collar hero. Oh the irony!
Never one to let a morbidly obese man stand in my way of a rollicking party, Katy and I hit the road bright and early on Saturday morning. The pregnant wife drove while I tried to sleep off a Burger King breakfast. While I dozed, Operation Blackbeard was already taking effect, with my brother taking Bernie out to Gates Golf course. The plan was for me to meet up with them after the turn at Hole 9 to surprise Dad, but of course by the time we got there they were on Hole 13, and due to my horrifying sense of direction, I didn't find them until the Hole 14.
Bernie seemed legitimately surprised, as most people are when I randomly walk up to them and join their group on a golf course. We got through Hole 16 before the rain started coming down in sheets and we had to head to the clubhouse early (but not before I hit a drive that you've probably seen replayed on SportsCenter ad nauseam. We get it! I'm good!).
Then it was back to the house where Bernie immediately smelled something fishy. Actually that was BBQ that he was smelling, along with potato salad, veggies, chips and cake. A fine food spread if there ever was one, along with banners, tables, mementos and the like had been set up for the Man of the Hour. 40 of Bernie's co-workers, friends and family were in attendance and mingling was at an all time high.
A slow clap for Chris and everyone that helped make the whole thing a great success, worthy of splashy headlines in the Waterloo Courier.
The next day we all met in Cedar Rapids for a family dinner at Biaggi's. Bart even brought his girlfriend, or as the kids call them these days (I could be wrong), his "boo". It was a great meal and a great way to cap off the weekend.
I'm proud of my Dad. He did things the honorable way. He put in the time, effort, elbow grease (literally) into learning his craft and expanding his skill set to get where he ended up. There is something to be said about someone who is that doggedly loyal, which is just one of the many marks of a great man. It wasn't always easy, but he was a great provider and is an even better father. He's earned every ounce of shuteye that he's gonna get in the big brown leather recliner. Congrats Dad.
A week later, on Saturday, September 26th, stepmom Chris executed an elaborate and multi-pronged ruse known as "Operation Blackbeard" (no relation to my "Dad Beard Project" - Cory came up with the title). This involved getting Bernie out of the house for a golf outing so that she could set up for his surprise retirement party. The only problem was that I had to work late into the night here in Chicago on Friday for a Michael Moore press day. Michael Moore, champion of the common man, was inadvertently keeping me from celebrating the body of work of this blue collar hero. Oh the irony!
Never one to let a morbidly obese man stand in my way of a rollicking party, Katy and I hit the road bright and early on Saturday morning. The pregnant wife drove while I tried to sleep off a Burger King breakfast. While I dozed, Operation Blackbeard was already taking effect, with my brother taking Bernie out to Gates Golf course. The plan was for me to meet up with them after the turn at Hole 9 to surprise Dad, but of course by the time we got there they were on Hole 13, and due to my horrifying sense of direction, I didn't find them until the Hole 14.
Bernie seemed legitimately surprised, as most people are when I randomly walk up to them and join their group on a golf course. We got through Hole 16 before the rain started coming down in sheets and we had to head to the clubhouse early (but not before I hit a drive that you've probably seen replayed on SportsCenter ad nauseam. We get it! I'm good!).
Then it was back to the house where Bernie immediately smelled something fishy. Actually that was BBQ that he was smelling, along with potato salad, veggies, chips and cake. A fine food spread if there ever was one, along with banners, tables, mementos and the like had been set up for the Man of the Hour. 40 of Bernie's co-workers, friends and family were in attendance and mingling was at an all time high.
A slow clap for Chris and everyone that helped make the whole thing a great success, worthy of splashy headlines in the Waterloo Courier.
The next day we all met in Cedar Rapids for a family dinner at Biaggi's. Bart even brought his girlfriend, or as the kids call them these days (I could be wrong), his "boo". It was a great meal and a great way to cap off the weekend.
I'm proud of my Dad. He did things the honorable way. He put in the time, effort, elbow grease (literally) into learning his craft and expanding his skill set to get where he ended up. There is something to be said about someone who is that doggedly loyal, which is just one of the many marks of a great man. It wasn't always easy, but he was a great provider and is an even better father. He's earned every ounce of shuteye that he's gonna get in the big brown leather recliner. Congrats Dad.
The best time to start thinking about your retirement is before your boss does.
— Unknown wise person
No comments:
Post a Comment