Thursday, November 6, 2008

Lots of Treats, A Disappointing Number of Tricks

Katy: Over Halloween weekend, we visited Ben's brother, Cory, and his family in Cedar Rapids. We're lucky they don't mind (or at least don't let on that they mind), letting us crash in their basement whenever we need a niece and nephew "fix".

Halloween night we went out trick-or-treating with our little Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Griffin and Sienna. There were so many kids out and all the houses were decorated to the nines with lights and huge blow-up figures (not dolls). One even had spooky actors! Since when did Halloween become such a fanatical event? Not to mention the warm temps - the weather was great - don't you remember wearing winter coats over your costumes with the plastic masks from the '80's? I specifically remember wearing snow boots with my Big Bird costume back in kindergarten.

Saturday morning we woke up to Griffin jumping on our bed and giggling like a maniac. He has the best giggles! After playing "tent" under the blankets, we all got ready and Cory and Gretchen took us on a tour of the flood ravaged parts of Cedar Rapids. It was devastating to see how destroyed entire neighborhoods and the downtown area still were. I was amazed to see trash and debris still sitting on the curb to be hauled away, four months after the flood. It is definitely a reminder to count our blessings and think of those that were affected.

After some lunch, a nap for this old lady, and some "pre-game" drinks courtesy of our bartender Cory, a babysitter came over to take charge of the kiddos for the evening. We adults went out to a super Italian restaurant called Vino's and then went back to their place and played Mommy and Daddy drinking games.

Ben: I'll take it from here my friends. Let me narrate via pictures, frozen in time.

Ben: They're really onto something in Cedar Rapids. All the adults just sit in the driveway, drinking beer around these trendy little portable campfires. You don't even have to knock on the door. That's the kind of Midwest hospitality that I can get behind. This picture is of some dude that I murdered while we were trick or treating. That really cast a pall on the night.

Ben: Griffin went as Mickey Mouse. I went without a costume. That is to say, I went as a douchebag.

Ben: Everybody likes to think their kids are the cutest, but this picture of Sienna is pretty f'n hard to argue with.

Ben: Vino's was really good. Best side salads ever and the wine that Gretchen picked out for me was so good that I stood up and head-butted out waiter. I had the fish.

Ben: Everybody always asks us when we're gonna have kids. Actually, these are our kids. We just let Cory and Gretchen "borrow" them. I think it has something to do with Cory getting a greencard or something.

.

No comments: